Monday, July 15, 2013

Quilting for Me (& Next Year's Auction)

I've finally done it.  After finishing my first three quilts nearly a year ago and quilting a dozen more projects for other people, I made something for myself!


I was out of town last week and so away from my fabric and machine.  I started to have the shakes (emotionally, if not physically) from not sewing anything... does this happen to anyone else, or do I have a problem?

In any case... in one fast and furious evening, I whipped up this pillow.


I was starting to get really tired of the orange and green scheme we have going on in the family room.  Thankfully, this cheers things up a bit.



The backing is this great Denyse Schmidt print that I picked up at JoAnn's.  I only bought half a yard, but wow! - that goes quite a long way when it goes into a pillow as opposed to a quilt backing!  Though I do think I'll have to go back and buy some more...



I'm in love and am now envisioning half a dozen other pillows which would make for a full room redo... Why didn't anyone tell me how gratifying a quick and easy pillow project is?



I'm so glad that Charlotte is so enthusiastic, too.  I actually put the pillow in the car for our most recent trip to chemo... Charlotte wanted to hold it for the entire ride - too cute!

Now, back to the real point of this blog: quilt auction for brain tumor research.  Over the course of six weeks from March to April 2013, we were able to auction quilts to raise over $3,000 for brain tumor research and for pediatric patient care. How exciting to be a part of something so meaningful!

I've brainstormed and schemed in an effort to learn from last year's auction and to have next year's pulled off without a hitch.  Here's what I've come up with: I want to auction all of our quilts simultaneously next year.  Which means that I will have to photograph the quilts and write posts all ahead of time.  It's still quite a few months away, but I'd like to have all the quilts in hand on February 1, 2014.  So plan accordingly, okay?  Surely you could whip up a quilt to further brain cancer research by then, couldn't you?

Don't quilt?  Click on over to my "Get Involved" page to see how else to help.  Hint: a $35 gift card to Fabric.com could go a long way.  Last year, I was given fabric that probably cost about $35, but the quilts that we made with them (Pink Diamond and Once Upon a Time) raised $250!  How is that for multiplying a friend's generosity?!

Please don't hesitate to contact me at charlottesgraceforacure[at]gmail[dot]com with any questions.  I'd love to hear from you!



(Linking up to Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story and Crazy Mom Quilts.)

10 comments:

  1. Oh your pillow is lovely! It's so perfect and I love the picture with your little Charlotte and the pillow. So sweet.

    I would LOVE to be a part of the quilt auction and donate a quilt or two. I'll check out your 'Get Involved' page. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for liking the pillow and the picture of sweet Charlotte. :) Thank you for being willing to help with our quilt auction, too - so very kind of you! I am so excited to see what you come up with. Please contact me with any questions, okay?

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the pillow, how adorable - but what is more adorable...sweet Charlotte's face holding the pillow. You amaze me, what a gift you have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pillow! I've yet to make one of my own, but maybe I'll have to now.
    I would love to donate a quilt to be auctioned. I will email you for details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your creativity continues to amaze me! The pillow is so very pretty and "happy"; I guess I'm trying to say "sunny and bright." Count on me for some fabric funds.
    Love you all (that's yankee for "ya'll"!),
    Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! (Also adore that quilt for your MIL -- what a gift!) Love you! Glad to know how to help in advance for the upcoming year's efforts. Hugs to you wonderful people :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You so earned a project for you! I can tell Charlotte agrees! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can count me in for next year...but I bet you already knew that!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to participate next year. My father is battling GBM so helping to raise money for brain tumor research is very near and dear to my heart. juliemthompson_at_gmail_dot_com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you... Thanks for writing back!