Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Anne's Quilt


A la kindergarten, "I have a new friend!!"  Remember my Children at Play patchwork quilt?  Well, my friend  Sarah won that quilt, and somehow, she told her friend, Anne, about our little auction.  Sarah and Anne both live here at Fort Bragg, and their daughters are good friends at school.  So Anne got in touch with me, I invited her over, and well, let's just say that we've both got the gift of gab, so we were like two peas in a pod.

Yes, Charlotte, just like that - we can't seem to keep our mouths shut!

She arrived at my door with one of her daughters in one arm, and a bag of gorgeous quilts and works-in-progress in the other.  For my part, it was love at first sight (of quilts).  We rushed the children into a craft and tried to set up her show-and-tell in the family room.  And oh. my. goodness.  Her fabrics and choice of color and the workmanship are all just gorgeous.  Her quilts remind me of the scrappy, colorful goodness that Rita of Red Pepper Quilts cranks out.  Just wonderful.  I'm so in love with one of her quilts that I offered to buy it right then and there.  As it turns out, I don't think it's for sale.  She must be in love with it, too.  Love triangles can be such a bummer.

Okay, okay, so without further ado, here are some pictures of the quilt that Anne has graciously donated for auction.




Anne used a Rail Fence pattern for this quilt - classic!

The quilt measures 60 x 66 inches, but my picture of the full quilt turned out just awful.  So I'm going to give you some close-ups of the lovely fabrics, and you get out the tape measure to imagine what 60 by 66 of all this beautiful, green/aqua (plus pops of pink and yellow) goodness will get you, okay?




When I asked her if there's a particular "story" to this quilt, she shared,"I love those fabrics, and for whatever reason, I knew I wanted to use them for this (coveted fabrics need a special reason to be cut into and Charlotte's story seemed like a pretty special reason!).  I just love being able to share in "Charlotte's gRACE."





Anne confessed that she's been hoarding some of these prints since she started quilting about five years ago.





She also has a "thing" for polka dots.




I can see that.




But polka dots are a staple in the world of quilting, so who can fault you, Anne?

Now the back is this large-scale floral fabric.  It's truly lovely.




And the binding, oh, the binding.  It might be the prettiest, most invisible, blindstitching that I've ever seen!  And such perfect corners, too.




I've never had a quilt roll up so perfectly like this.  What type of batting is this?  I think I'm going to have to convert.




Lastly, the quilting is a great meander covering the whole quilt.  You can see examples of it in many pictures above.

It is so generous of Anne to have committed to donate a quilt before she even met Charlotte or me.  I think that she felt a connection to me, Charlotte, and our cause because of what her own family has been through.  Her daughter, Kate, had a horrific reaction to an immunization as an infant, resulting in encephalitis.  We are so grateful that Kate is well now with few, if any, lasting side effects.  Yet, Anne was active in fundraising for Kate's hospital in New York and is now glad to be able to continue to "give back" by using her hobby to help our fundraiser.  And we are so grateful to have her help!   



I have no doubt that this quilt will easily find a happy home, yet I feel compelled to recommend it to my New York City friends.  Your "concrete jungle" is so gray, dear friends, and Central Park is so far from where you live.  Why not bring the Park to you?  Anne's quilt will do just the trick to inaugurate spring in your little corner of the world.


Quilt Stats:
Measures: 60 x 66 inches
Pieced and Quilted by: Anne Reinhart
Fabrics: various premium quilting fabrics

Auction Details:
-Please place a bid in the "comment" section at the end of this post.  If you are signing in as "anonymous," then please leave your name in the comment form, e.g. "Jane Doe bids $150."
-Starting bid: $150, increasing in $5 (minimum) increments
-Auction ends Friday, April 12, at 8 p.m. EST.

*Edit: Auction has ended; comments are closed.

(100% of proceeds go toward brain tumor research at Duke!)


Charlotte says, "Don't forget to 'donate' your voice by posting to Facebook and Pinterest, and whatever other high-techy stuff you do."

9 comments:

  1. Charlotte is gobsmacked at the beauty of this quilt. JUST GOBSMACKED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne is a true inspriation to those that know her. I am truly thankful to have her in my life. Mark Schenck bids $200.

    ReplyDelete
  3. $225-- Beautiful quilt!!

    Lindsay Burk
    (My sister is battling GBM and she is a former Army wife who was stationed at Fort Bragg-- We're looking forward to walking at AAU and raising funds for The Tisch Center.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart breaks for what your sister and your family is having to endure. I'm so sorry.

      Please try to stop by our table at AAU and introduce yourself; I'd be honored to meet you all.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful quilt, great cause. Too horrible a disease for anyone let alone children. Crafted by an old school friend. I bid $250. Jenna Rankin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt. I would like to bid $275. May this disease be cured sometime soon : ). Charlene Hendricks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lauren, I believe I am the highest bidder on this beautiful quilt. Could you please post a comment on here confirming if that is correct. If so, what do I do next? Thank you, Charlene Hendricks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Charlene, you are the highest bidder - congrats!! And thank you for your generosity. Please send me an email at charlottesgraceforacure@gmail.com so that I can send you info on how to donate, and you can send me your mailing address. You're going to love it even more in person! Thanks!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you... Thanks for writing back!