Monday, March 31, 2014

Maria's Bee Block Quilt


This quilt was donated to the auction by Maria Johnson.  She is a breast cancer survivor who stumbled upon my blog a few months ago and offered her help.  She collected each of these blocks from friends and stitched them together to form this stunning quilt.  I love the orange & aqua color scheme!

IMG_1044


When I asked her about how the quilt came about, she shared this with me:

"So many people from the quilting world were so incredibly generous to me when I had cancer that I never want to forget that, and that's why I always want to pay it forward in any way that I can.  I don't work much, so I don't have a lot of money, but I do have time to create and share what I have.

IMG_1045

"When I see a post like yours on a blog like yours, it just feels right.  I also help out with another charity drive run by my friend Sarah on the other side of Nashville.  She picks two groups that collect quilts each year and asks her readers to sign up to help how they can, and that also feels right.  We're breast cancer sisters.  :)

IMG_1046

"I want to share that feeling of having been blessed by so many in my time of need, and I want to do the same for others in their time of need."

IMG_1047

Thank you so much, Maria!  What a lovely way to "pay it forward."

IMG_1049


Maria is not the only cancer survivor who has contributed to this year's auction.  There are at least two more ladies who felt compelled to share quilts with us, and perhaps more!  I don't know each woman's story, but I suspect that there are many who have battled cancer themselves or who have helped a loved one along in the journey.

IMG_1050


Here are some close-ups of a few of the blocks.  It would be too difficult to photograph, and I could not recognize all of the fabric, but I was able to pick out some pieces from Denyse Schmidt, Joel Dewberry, and Kate Spain.  If you are a fabric connoisseur, this would be a really fun quilt to get your hands on!

IMG_1051


And perhaps you can see the quilting?  It is an edge-to-edge meander.

IMG_1052


Oh, and this backing fabrics is just great!

IMG_1053


The backing fabrics accent the front so nicely.  I love it when the backing is clearly much more than an after-thought!  (Sometimes, that doesn't work out so well with my own quilts...)

IMG_1055


Win this lovely piece and help cure kids with brain cancer at the same time?  Yes, please!

Click here to bid on this quilt.  *Bidding Closed


Quilt Stats:
Size: 55 x 55 inches
Made by: Maria Johnson
Fabrics: quilting fabrics



(Want to see more?  Click here to see all the quilts that are on auction until Saturday, April 5, 2014.)

Copy of PBTF_5C_horiz_RGB copy
"Someone in your life needs a quilt, and someone in mine needs a cure."
  Charlotte's gRACE for a Cure 2014 Quilt Auction to benefit the PBTF


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you... Thanks for writing back!